The Head of Public Relations of the Ghana National Fire Service, Prince Billy Anaglate says the fire that tore through the stores of state-broadcaster GBC Friday evening could largely be caused by the way items were packed in the facility.
“That alone can give spontaneous ignition. These other items that have not been segregated, when you have the lowest combustible materials, bringing them together, you don’t allow air even to get in to cool the temperature of those items, could also be a cause of it,” he added.
According to the Divisional Officer he received a call around 6:50 and quickly dispatched a tender but due to their observation in the inspection, they quickly followed up with two tenders that managed to bring the fire under control within an hour and prevented it from spreading to adjoining structures and completely destroying other items in the inner parts of the Stores.
The fire personnel stayed overnight to ensure that the fire was completely put out.
The fire at the stores had been noticed by some staff on duty around 6:30 in the evening of Friday.