The new paperless system at the Port has shot up revenue by 56 percent in the first week of operations, according to Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia.
“On September 1, we launched the paperless [system], but, of course, not without attempts to actually derail the process because it’s hurting a lot of people who were making free money and people who used to take two weeks to clear a container after one day of delay were protesting,” Dr Bawumia said at an orientation ceremony for national service personnel at the National Communications Authority.
“The results are amazing; we just looked at data this morning – first week of collections under the paperless system in September this year compared to last year’s first week of collections in September 2016 – and collections have gone up by 56 percent: from around GHS130 million to GHS230 million in one week,” Bawumia said at an orientation ceremony for National Service Personnel who have been posted to National Communications Authority.
The paperless system which took off smoothly on Saturday, September 2, 2017, saw a very different twist on Monday, September 4, as agents who trooped the Revenue Centre of the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA) to make payments to clear their goods looked very frustrated about the system.
Some of the agents who could not hide their frustration told Kasapa News that the system would have worked effectively if government had been a little patient.
More clearing agents still complain about delays in getting their goods cleared despite GPHA management promises to revise strategies towards addressing the challenges facing the paperless system.