Liberia is ready for kickoff, take off if you like. The West African nation today, January 22, swears in one history maker as the other bows out.
George Manneh Weah will become its president – the first African footballer to achieve that feat while Ellen Johnson Sirleaf – Africa’s first democratically female president will leave office after over a decade in charge.
Weah won presidential elections last year to emerge the successor to Sirleaf beating then vice president Joseph Boakai twice in a space of three months.
In the first round of voting in October 2017, Weah came top but failed to garner the necessary votes. He went into a runoff with Boakai in December and emerged winner with over 60% of votes cast. This will be Liberia’s first democratic handover of executive power in decades.
The African president guest list
1. President of Ghana, Akufo Addo
2. Guinean President Alpha Conde
3. Sierra Leonean President, Ernest Bai Koromah,
4. President of Ivory Coast, Alassane Ouattara
5. President of Togo, Faure Gnassingbé
6. Nigerian President Mohammad Buhari.
7. Denis Sassou Nguesso, Congolese President
8. President Jose Mario Vaz, Guinea Bissau
9. Ali Bongo Ondimba, President of Gabon
10. Malian leader, Ibrahim Boubakar Keita