A ninety year old woman met her untimely death when she was burnt to death at Berekum in the Brong Ahafo Region on Monday evening.
The fire is said to have occurred after a power outage in the area.
According to an eye witness, there was a huge blast in the house after power was restored, moments after which fire gutted the house.
The frail old nonagenarian who was sleeping at the time of the incident could however not rush out and was consumed by the fire, leaving behind her charred body.
“When the blast occurred, the light bulb in the old woman’s room blew out and fell on the mattress on which she was laying and caught fire immediately. The lamp holder came off and fell on the mattress. She was too weak to run out and was burnt. Surprisingly, even though the fire was intense it did not spread to other room, no other items was also burnt in the house apart from the woman and her mattress,” the eye witness added.
Personnel of the Fire Service were called in to douse the fire, following which Police conveyed the old woman’s body to the morgue.