Government has cleared that compensation packages for traders and artisans being evicted from the enclave near the home of the President are being paid not from the national purse.
The traders and shop owners around the Nima residence of President Akufo-Addo who have been given a March 15 ultimatum to vacate the enclave are agitating over the compensation packages given them by the national security.
At least GHC3000 and GHC10,000 were given to them as compensation packages, but they’ve complained as woefully inadequate asking for an increase in the said amounts.
Some of the traders say they have been operating their businesses in the enclave over the last 20 years and will be stranded as they vacate the premises as being demanded by the national security.
A statement on the development, by the Information minister and Presidential Spokesman Mustapha Hamid said the President has been humane on the matter and has even included persons who were initially not covered by the compensation.
“ In view of the security implications of the operations of the traders, and artisans, national security proceeded to engage with them, and compensation packages of varied sums were agreed on. President Akufo-Addo has taken the view that the national purse must not be burdened on a matter such as this, and has gone on to pay these compensation from his personal resources.
“A group of artisans, describing themselves as “the junior masters”, who were not beneficiaries who were not beneficiaries of the initial compensation, in a letter to President Akufo-Addo, dated February 25,2018, appealed to the president to be included in the compensation package, a request which the President has accepted.
“It is important to note that extensive consultations were undertaken between the office of the President, national security and the traders and artisans, before implementation of this decision. It is completely false that only a week’s notice was given to the traders and artisans to move from their current location. Indeed, the leadership of the artisans and traders requested for a six week grace period from national security, beginning from the last week of January 2018 to enable them move. Clearly this request has been met”.