The Police have secured a restraining order from the court to prevent a planned demonstration at the premises of the Electoral Commission (EC), by some pressure groups Wednesday.
The Police went to court to seek an order to prevent the political movement, Let My Vote Count and others from picketing at the premises of the EC, explaining that the enclave was strictly a security zone.
Speaking on Si Me So on Kasapa 102.3 FM, the Public Relations Officer of the Gt. Accra Regional Police Command, ASP Afia Tengey said the court has ordered for the planned demonstration to follow the appropriate route suggested earlier by the Police, preventing them from storming the premises of EC or parliament house with the demonstration.
Meanwhile, members of the group who had earlier said they will resist attempts to stop their move Wednesday have back tracked their decision, saying it will now reason with the order not to picket at the EC.
The convener of the group, Davis Asante says, the ‘substance and purposes of the demonstration still holds’ therefore it will abide by the directive it had been served with.
According to him, this will not change the objective of the demonstration, since the same court order allows for the group to have its petition to be presented to the EC by two of its representatives, after the peaceful march by the group.