The Ghana Police Service has announced the temporary blockade of some roads ahead of the first edition of the Millennium Marathon to be held on Saturday, September 5, 2015 in Accra.
A statement signed by Greater Accra Police Command Public Relation Officer, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), Effia Tenge, said the roads which would be closed from 5 am to 12 midday, is to ensure the smooth management of both human and vehicular traffic, before, during and after the event.
The roads to be closed are:
1. Atta Mills High Street: from Cadbury House near Enterprise Insurance to Trade Fair junction
2. Gilffard Road: from Trade Fair junction to 37 Roundabout
3. Liberation Road: from 37 Roundabout to Ako Adjei through to Independence Avenue to National Theatre traffic light
4. Liberia Road: from National Theatre to TUC through North Liberia Road to Farisco to Independence Avenue
5. Kwame Nkrumah Avenue: from Farisco through to Wato Roundabout.
6. Cantoments Road: from Osu Traffic Light to Frankies Restaurant.
7. 4th Lane, Osu: from Frankies to Salem street through to Salem Link
8. Angola Road: From SSNIT Hospital to Osu Cemetary Traffic Light.
9. Starlet ’91’ Road: from Osu Cemetary to Black Star Square
The statement admonished motorists to note these arrangements and plan for alternative routes before embarking on their journeys.
It further listed certain areas earmarked as car parks for the event. They include the Forecourt of the State House, International Bank Car Park, the Accra Sports Stadium Car Park, the Ministries Car Park and the West end of the independence Square.