Fire Service Officers at Amasaman, who were on Wednesday evening called in to fight fire at Korleman, a settlement in the Ga West District in the Greater Accra Region, were rendered useless as they could do nothing to douse the raging fire.
The distressed residents in the hilly town, who saw the fire personnel as savior, were utterly shocked as they watched the latter turning away from the inferno because their fire equipment could not reach the fire scene (hill) from where the fire was approaching their houses.
The Assembly man for the area, Benjamin Richard Akoto Sampson told Fiifi Banson on Anopa Kasapa on Kasapa 102.3 FM that when the Fire personnel arrived at the scene, they had no clue on how to put off the fire.
“When they came, they told us that they cannot have access to the top of the hill and so they cannot do anything about the fire, so they stood there motionless. I thought they could even help us make fire beds, but they did not. In our moment of desperation, they told us that they have just received an emergency call that Mayera, another town was also on fire and so they had to leave. So we watched them leave our place while I organized the youth to douse the fire with buckets of water and palm fronts. We faught the fire for a long time until we were exhausted and decided to retire.”
He however noted that no casualties were recorded but several palm products running into several hundreds of cedis were destroyed by the fire.
Meanwhile on the same day, Parts of the Kumasi Central Market was also gutted by fire destroying properties worth thousands of cedis.
Nkawkaw-Adoagyiri in the Eastern Region also had its share of the spate of fire incidents as several stores were destroyed in a fire outbreak.
The inferno is said to have started from a local sawmill in the area, and later escalated to other nearby shops, Agoo FM’s Abena Pokua reported.
Several shops including a barbering salon, electrical shops, boutique, spare part shops among others were lost in the course of the fire incident Thursday.