Government has ordered the suspension of the ongoing recruitment of nurses into public health institutions.

A statement signed by the Health Minister Dr. Kwaku Agyeman-Manu said : “I wish to request that you suspend all recruitment activities for the 8,634 nurses and other health staff until further notice”.

The statement however added: “The suspension is not a cancellation but to allow the ministry of Health to finalise all issues related to the financial clearance”.

Financial clearance for the recruitment of the nurses  was given by the erstwhile Mahama government in November 2016.

The recruitment exercise had been ongoing since last week.

Public Relations Officer of the Health ministry Tony Goodman said the directive to suspend the exercise was issued to the various human resource units of the ministry on Wednesday, February 15.