General overseer of the International Central Gospel Church and board Chairman of defunct Capital bank, Dr. Mensa Otabil has said that in the midst of the challenges bedevilling the banking sector, his foremost concern is with is for the well-being of those who lost their jobs.
In a statement he [Mensa Otabil] issued on Tuesday morning, he stated that “My foremost concern, as has been the case over the past year, is for the well-being of those who lost their jobs and those who may have been adversely affected in any way as a result of these developments. My heart goes out to them and to their dependents. I continue to pray for God’s guidance and sustenance as they navigate the course of their lives”.
About 1200 people lost their jobs when Capital bank and UT bank collapsed, out the staggering number, about 400 we understand were absorb by the Ghana Commercial Bank.
Some workers are still battling with the stigmatization of working under a company that collapsed whiles others are said to have passed on.
Exactly a year ago today, two indigenous banks, Capital and UT bank were taken over by the Bank of Ghana over liquidity issues.
Pastor Otabil`s role as the board Chairman of the defunct Capital bank meant he superintended over the collapse of the as asserted by many including financial analyst.
Below is the full statement by Dr. Mensa Otabil
- I have observed with concern, the ongoing media discussions regarding developments in the Banking Sector and my role either directly or indirectly.
- I accepted to be Board Chairman of Capital Bank in a bid to help strengthen a promising Ghanaian enterprise that had potential but also challenges. I was excited about the prospects of a young man from a disadvantaged background who was daring to create opportunities and employment.
- My position was a non-executive role. I was therefore not involved in the day-to-day management and operations of the Bank.
- In the course of time, some decisions made turned out well while some did not turn out as well as had been anticipated. As far as I can tell, everything was done with the best of intentions and the interest of various stakeholders in mind.
- My foremost concern, as has been the case over the past year, is for the well-being of those who lost their jobs and those who may have been adversely affected in any way as a result of these developments. My heart goes out to them and to their dependents. I continue to pray for God’s guidance and sustenance as they navigate the course of their lives.
- Since the takeover of the bank exactly a year ago today, various mandated state institutions have been investigating and working to arrive at a comprehensive understanding of what happened, why it happened and who was responsible for what. I have been invited by EOCO and I have submitted myself to their processes and answered all their questions faithfully.
- For some time now, many discussion platforms have made varied references to me and to my perceived role. Some have reached out to me for clariﬁcations regarding issues that have been raised. I have preferred not to respond in the public domain, not as an admission of guilt, but out of respect for the due process and the ongoing investigations.
- Notwithstanding some unforeseen outcomes, I remain resolute in my belief in the Ghanaian and African entrepreneurial spirit. I will therefore continue to lend my support and mentorship to inspire others who dare to dream and work towards the promise of Africa’s growth and transformation.
- Meanwhile, as a believer in the rule of law, I will continue to cooperate with the mandated institutions of state as they complete their investigations. I am conﬁdent that in the process, the national interest and the rights of all parties involved will be protected.
Shalom, peace and life to you.
Signed, Pastor Mensa Otabil. 14th August, 2018.