The much-awaited Ghana Tourism Awards to honour deserving facilities in the tourism industry in Ghana for the year 2018 was held at The Event Haven, La on Friday, March 22, 2019.
In all 29 awards were presented to organisations and individual in Accommodation, Food and beverage and Entertainment, Travel Trade and Media.
In addition, honorary awards were given to six (6) personalities who have contributed to the growth and the development of the Tourism Industry over the years.
Below are the award winners for the various categories.
1. Edwin Owusu-Mensah – (Fmr Dir. Ministry of Tourism, Arts And Culture, Former Dep. Exec. Dir. Ghana Tourism Authority)
2. Stella W. Appenteng – (CEO – Apstar Tours Ltd)
3. Kwame Ofosu Bamfo (MD – Alisa Hotel)
4. Sajid Ali Kahn – (GM – Tang Palace Hotel,Accra,Ghana)
5. Erieca Bennett – (Head of Mission, Missions Forum: Africa Diaspora Missions Network)
6. Mark Williams – (CEO – Ashanti African Tours Ltd)
- 5 Star Hotel of the Year – Movenpic Ambassador Hotel
- 4 Star Hotel of the Year – Tang Palace Hotel
- 3 Star Hotel of the Year – Holiday Inn Hotel
- 2 Star Hotel of the Year – Ibis Styles
- 1 Star Hotel of the Year – Coconut Grove Sakumono
- Guest House of the Year – Petit Palais Guesthouse
- Budget Hotel of the Year – Ronna lodge, Adidome
- Hostel of the Year – Bedstudy Osu
- Serviced Apartment of the Year – Red Mango Apartments chapel Hill
FOOD AND BEVERAGE AND ENTERTAINMENT (CATERING) AWARDS
- Restaurant Grade 1 – Azmera Restaurant
- Restaurant Grade 2 – The Buka Restaurant Ltd
- Restaurant Grade 3 – Madela Restaurant, Sunyani
- Fast Food of the Year – Papaye Fast Foods Ltd.
- Night Club of the Year – Plot 7 Night Club, Osu
- Traditional Caterer (Chop Bar) of the Year – Bush Kanteen Shiashie
- Drinking Bar of the Year – The Treasures Pub, Agbogba
TRAVEL SERVICES AWARDS
1. Airline of the Year – South African Airways
2. Tour Operator of the Year – Landtours Ghana
3. Travel Agency of the Year – Satguru Travels Ghana Ltd
4. Car Rental Service of the Year – Atlas Rent A Car
5. Visitor Attraction of the Year – Kakum National Park Ghana
MEDIA AWARD WINNERS
1. Tourism Writer of the Year – Kofi Akpabli
2. Tourism Oriented Media TV – TV3 Media,
3. Tourism Oriented Media (Radio)- Citi 97.3 FM
4. Tourism Oriented Media (Print)- The Mirror
5. Tourism Oriented Media (Online) – Voyages AFRIQ MEDIA
6. Tourism Programme of the Year – Our Heritage by UTV Ghana
About The Awards
The National Tourism Awards was instituted by the Ghana Tourism Authority in 1997 to reward excellent performance in the tourism sector.
It is one of the flagship events of the GTA held annually and it sets the tone for high standards in service delivery among practitioners in the tourism sector.
Awards, including honorary awards, are presented to practitioners and organisations who have made maintained high standards and individuals who have made immense contributions to the growth and development of Ghana’s tourism industry.
The award usually attracts high profile personalities in government, business, politics, academia and practitioners within the tourism industry.