File photo

Two driver’s mates aged 28 and 26 met their untimely death at Odorkor a suburb of Accra in a sad manner after they were burnt to death while sleeping in a commercial vehicle.

The unfortunate incident happened on Thursday after one of the deceased named Kobby who works in the burnt vehicle after close of work at about 10:00 pm called his friend to come so they spend the night in the vehicle as they do sometimes.

The two are said to have bought mosquito coil and lighted it to ward off mosquitos which were disturbing their sleep.

An eye witness Alex, told Kasapa News that after about one hour of seeing the two going to sleep in the vehicle, he saw smoke emanating from the vehicle.

He said because the two had rolled up the window glasses of the vehicle it was difficult for them to hear shouts of prompting them that the vehicle had caught fire.

“At about 11:30 we saw smoke billowing from the vehicle and then huge fire engulfed it a few minutes later. We raised alarm but the two young men could not hear us because they were fast asleep and had the window glasses of the vehicle rolled up. Attempt to use fire extinguishers to douse the fire proved futile as the fire had become intense. By the time officials of the Fire Service arrived at the scene the bodies of the two had been severely burnt leading to their death.”

He added that the Odorkor Police were called in and subsequently conveyed the body to the morgue.