Gregory Afoko (left) and Adams Mahama (Right)

The new trial of Gregory Afoko who has been accused together with Asabke Alangde for the murder of New Patriotic Party’s Upper East Regional Chairman Adams Mahama has begun.

On Friday, April 12, 2024, Prosecution led by Mrs Marina Appiah-Opare, a Chief State Attorney called the Pathologist, Dr. Lawrence Adusei as their first of the 16 Witnesses.

Dr. Edusei who examined the dead body of the late NPP chairman while being led by the Chief State Attorney to give his Evidence-in-Chief said, his autopsy report revealed that, the late Adams Mahama died as a result of extensive acid burns from unnatural cause.

EIB Network Legal Affairs Correspondent, Murtala Inusah, reports that the Pathologist who is testifying for the third time in the matter has been discharged by the Court after his cross examination by defence lawyers.

Prosecution is expected to call their second Witness at the next Court sitting.

The case has been adjourned to April 26, 2024.

Brief facts

The brief facts of the case, were that on May 14, 2015, Gregory’s brother, Paul Afoko, and Kwabena Agyepong, then national chairman and general secretary, respectively, of the NPP arrived in Bolgatanga for a meeting.

It stated that, the deceased, organised some thugs to violently attack the two, scuttling the planned meeting at the Azumsolon Guest House, for campaigning against the flagbearer, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, and also not notifying him of the meeting.

The situation, according to the prosecution, was later brought under control by the police, adding that the accused, who was then upset, confronted Mahama but was chased out by thugs.

Another group

It also noted that Gregory and Asabke formed another youth group in their bid to protect persons perceived to be against Nana Akufo-Addo.

It said the accused persons held a series of meetings with the youth and on May 20, 2015 they ambushed at Mahama’s residence with a substance suspected to be acid.

‘The deceased returned home around 11:10p.m. in his pick-up vehicle, with registration number NR 761 – 14, and immediately he parked the vehicle in front of his house, the suspects went close and signaled him to roll down the glass.

The deceased identified the suspects to be party members and rolled down the glass to talk to them.

Suddenly, the suspects poured the substance suspected to be acid on his head, face and other parts of his body and fled on a motorbike.

‘The deceased started screaming for help and his wife, Hajia Zenabu Adams, went to his aid and managed to bring him out of the vehicle, the prosecution added.


According to the prosecution, Mahama’s wife also sustained burns on the right side of her chest and breast while assisting her husband.

It said when she enquired about what had happened to her husband, he told her Gregory and Asabke had attacked him.

Mahama died while being airlifted to Accra for treatment.

Gregory, who was later picked up, led the police to Asabke’s father’s house.

The police later located Asabke’s house but he had then absconded with his wife, abandoning their baby in the process.

A post-mortem report on Mahama said he died of shocked lungs and extensive acid burns.

Source: Inusah